Modeling and simulation services
Our engineering services in the field of modeling and simulation are based on our extensive experience with very different thermodynamic systems, including air conditioning and refrigeration systems, heat pumps, power plants, heat recovery systems and dryers. We apply our extensive knowledge in the areas of mathematical methods, physical modeling and visualization for our computer simulations. Our TLK staff are trained in a wide variety of simulation tools. We can offer our engineering services on site upon request.
Our services and our approach in the field of modeling and simulation include:
At TLK-Thermo GmbH, we use computer simulations to support our customers in the conception and design of thermal components and systems. We can carry out basic feasibility studies or run simulations with the goal to optimize existing systems in terms of costs, energy consumption or dynamic responsiveness. We can also develop operating strategies and control concepts.
We use Python, DaVE or the respective tools inherent to the simulation program used for evaluating our simulations, from the graphical representation of results to automated reporting.
Our simulation projects typically include a presentation of the methods and models used.
If not yet available, a model must first be created before a simulation can be performed. We draw on existing measurement data, manufacturer data and published scientific data for these models.
If measurement data must first be collected before a model is designed, TLK-Thermo GmbH can, if desired, run the relevant tests based on statistical methods. The statistical design of experiments (DoE) ensures that the missing parameters of the corresponding physical or data-driven modeling approaches can be determined from the measured data. The measurements are either carried out by ourselves or by our customers with our support. We then evaluate the experiments and verify their physical plausibility. With regard to the transfer of measurement data in models, we can apply the regression method to adjust the model coefficients. For this purpose we use either our own Fitting Tool, Python or Matlab.
We create the models in different languages using different tools according to customer requirements. The simulation languages we use include Modelica, Simulink, Matlab and C ++. The models can also be programmed as FMUs. In this case, the customer can incorporate these into any simulation program that supports the FMI standard. In the area of thermal systems we work with field calculation methods using simulation programs such as Ansys Fluent, CFX, Star CCM +, COMSOL, RadTherm or OpenFOAM. In this respect, the modeling includes geometric presentation and grid generation. We can provide models for coupled simulations (1D/1D or 1D/3D) of different tools by using TISC.
Our simulations ensure high computing speed and stability because we are constantly optimizing the models of the sub-components and the entire system. If necessary, we use model reduction methods in order to increase calculation speed or to allow for the export of real-time systems.
The following tools are in constant use at TLK-Thermo GmbH:
- Modelica library for thermal fluid systems
- Modelica library AirConditioning from Modelon
- Matlab and Simulink (MathWorks)
- Dymola and SimulationX for Modelica
- TISC for software coupling and simulation control
- DaVE for the visualization and analysis of simulation and measurement data
- MoBA Automation for integration of models into different simulators
- Optimization Suite for steady-state and dynamic optimization with various mathematical algorithms
- MUSCOD for optimal control and NMPC
- ModelFitter for parameter adjustment
- Python for simulation automation, experiment design, optimization and post-processing
- dSPACE and ScaleRT for real-time applications
- Ansa for geometry preparation and optimization
- Ansys, StarCCM+ and OpenFOAM for CFD-simulations or field calculation
TLK employees are also familiar with many other simulation tools.
The following list of completed projects document the wide range of our simulation services:
- Design and optimization of automobile air conditioning systems
- Energetic evaluation of heating and air-conditioning systems in electric vehicles
- Creation of a detailed physical model to describe the thermal management of fuel cell systems
- Thermal design of disc and drum brakes using physical modeling and simulation
- Evaluation of ejectors for use in domestic heat pumps
- Energetic optimization of a reciprocating compressor by means of detailed physical modeling
- Energetic performance of expansion valves in R744 and R134a refrigeration circuits
- Optimization of a dynamic Rankine process for exhaust energy recovery
- Provision of real-time physical models of a waste heat recovery system for HIL applications
- Development of a model-based pilot control for a test bench
- Model for a control concept for the air conditioning and heating system of an office building with concrete core activation
- Holistic minimization of energy consumption in a supermarket incorporating the building itself and its ventilation, heating and refrigeration systems
If you have any questions, please consult:
Dipl.-Ing. Michael Bodmann
+49 / 531 / 390 76 - 15 | email@example.com